Flaxseeds are great to include regularly in the diet and a powerhouse giving you a good mix of fibre, omega 3 fats and antioxidants. You can use them in a smoothie bowl like this, make your own flax seed meal in a high speed blender for baking or you can soak them in lukewarm water for about 10-15 minutes to get rid of the phytic acid which enhances the absorption of minerals into your body.
You can also grind the seeds into a fine powder to get their entire nutritional value and eat a tablespoon of the powder on a daily basis, just by itself or over your porridge, mix into yoghurt, smoothies for example.
Raspberry and flax-seed smoothie bowl
- 3 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tsp raw cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt or plant based
- 50 ml beetroot juice
- 100 ml water
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Boil the water in the kettle
- Place the flaxseeds in a small pot and add in the water, cook for around 5 mins, until the water turns sticky. Then take off the heat and allow to cool slightly
- Place the raspberries and beetroot juice in a blender and blend until smooth
- Add in the flaxseeds and blend again
- Transfer the smoothie into a bowl and top with the yoghurt and cocoa nibs and serve straight away